My top tip for an all-out, big time, impactful New Year’s resolution for living with less plastic in your life is to REFUSE plastic, full stop! Forget about recycling and reusing. Forget about biodegradable and compostable plastic. The real impact is achieved by refusing to buy ANY plastic in the first place. Pick some or all of the following alternatives and get exploring. It’s fun and easy once you get the hang of it. And it’s just about the most important thing you can do straight away that sends out a strong signal to family, friends, local shops, national chains, manufacturers and ultimately the law makers. All power to your elbows, people!
1. Buy only unpackaged fruit and vegetables
2. Give up plastic bottles and buy drinks, oil etc in glass bottles instead
3. Get your cheeses wrapped in paper
4. Ask your butcher/fishmonger if you can bring your own boxes
5. Give up Tetrapak and make your own nut milks etc – it’s so easy!
6. Invest in stainless steel water bottles and refill on the go
7. Make your own packed lunches and hot drinks in thermos flasks
8. Get milk delivered in glass bottles
9. Buy bread loaves in paper bags
10. Switch to bamboo toothbrushes and try out a simple toothpaste recipe
11. Find your nearest refill place for laundry & washing up detergents
12. Try out shampoo bars and use nice soap instead of shower gels
13. Switch from tea bags to tea leaves – most tea bags contain plastic
14. Give up ready-made meals
15. Make your own hummus, dips, snacks, biscuits, crackers… get creative!
The way to make it easier is to simplify everything and at the same time to invest a little more time in shopping and preparing food. This is an opportunity for doing things together with family and friends, to be mindful of how we shop and eat, and to connect with the seasons and with nature. You’ll feel great – I can guarantee that.